A bit of smart shopping and a clever bit of dressing can do all the tricks for you. Dressing up is definitely an art and we are all set to help you master this art. In our previous blogs, we have talked about dressing up for Pear, apple, and hourglass shapes. In this article, we will learn about dressing up the rectangle body type!!
However, it is very important to remember that this is just a guideline to help you wear clothing that can flatter your curves and enhance your body shape. But don’t take fashion ‘rules’ too seriously, the trick to looking and feeling your best is to wear clothing which is comfortable.
What is Rectangle shape?
Rectangular shape is often described as a ruler or a straight shape because rectangle body shape is characterized by equal bust, waist and hip measurements. They are often lean and tall, hence they are also referred as athletic body type as well. They are particularly muscular and lack curves.
You can be categorised as a rectangle shaped body if –
- You have an undefined waist
- You lack curves in the body
- Your shoulder, bust, and hip measurements almost appear the same.
- For example
- Shoulder all-around – 36”
- Waist- 27”
- For example
- You have straight hips and bottom
- You have very little to no waist definition
So if you fit into the above-described body characteristics of a rectangle shape, you should consider these below tricks-
Create a balance– Wear outfits that help create a visual balance between your shoulders, bust, waist and hips. Your aim is to create the illusion of curves while emphasizing the waist and create a balanced silhouette.
Eye movement- Create focus on the areas you want to highlight, which can help you create curves, lengthen, or emphasize on your favorite body parts. Your aim is to take attention away from your straight silhouette and to give an illusion of curves.
Prints and patterns- Wear bright colors on your upper body and lower body- but not around your waist. Use eye-catching prints, textures and details strategically to create interest.
So while dressing up you may want to consider these points-
- You look stunning in a tucked-in shirt, the sheer advantage of height and shape. Tucked-in shirts also help give definition to your waist.
- From tailored fit clothing to A-line dress, empire, shift, bodycon. Everything looks great on you.
- To give more shape, you could just add a belt to your dress and that would do the trick.
- Short jackets will help shape your waist, as will mid-waisted skirts and pants.
- High necklines work well on you, so do the halter tops and boob tubes with sweetheart necklines and scooped necklines that show off your fabulous collarbones and shoulders.
- Look for tops with embellishments around the bust and shoulders, or that are ruched or full around the bust.
- You look amazing in skinny jeans.
- A knee-length pencil skirt that tapers at the hem will help create curves.
- Play with different cuts and shapes to create curves
You could maybe consider not including too much of these in your wardrobe-
- Stay away from boxy tops that hide the waist.
- Avoid over-sized clothes.
Here are a few style references that will work well for you.
Fit and flared dress– This double-layered shibori cotton mulmul style will work very well for you giving shape to your waist and the bottom flare will create an illusion of curvy figure for your body.
Straight fit dress– This cotton bib dress will also do well for you. Delicate noodle straps will show off those well-framed shoulders. The solid red inner will give shape to your upper body, helping to create the illusion of a slimmer waist. The front slit will show off the well-toned calves. A true winner for your body shape.
Straight dress with a sash– This linen dress in natural indigo and hand block print is perfect for you. A straight comfortable fit to highlight your lean figure. The sash at the waist adds just the right amount of definition at the waist. Team it up with a pair of sneakers, and you are set for that perfect cool and sporty look.
Your special party look – This empire waist Shibori twirl& show dress, in cotton silk is a winner for you. Show off those well-framed shoulders in these delicate noddle straps. The high waist of this dress makes your waist appear smaller. The long high waist dress also creates an illusion of more height. The dress is not only creating the illusion of a waist, but it is also highlighting your cleavage and creating nice vertical lines. Team it up with a pair of heels and some long earrings and neck-piece and you are ready to go!!
These are few other options you could consider too.
Just to give a better idea, to make it easy to relate to this shape these are the few famous rectangle-shaped celebrities – Anne Hathaway, Cameron Diaz, Kate Middleton, Anushka Sharma, Deepika Padukone, Sonam Kapoor