This is second in the series of posts to help you understand your body type and dress to flatter your body. We discussed the pear shape in the first post and will be talking about the Rectangle and Apple shapes in the next couple of posts.
The hourglass shape is one of the rarest and wished for figure type, which every woman would dream of. It’s considered as the ideal and a balanced shape.
Let us understand this more in detail.
What is Hourglass shape?
If your shoulder and hips are of the same measurement and your waist is at least 25 percent smaller than your shoulder, hip and bust measurements, then you are a perfect hour glass.
Hourglass shape can be of two kinds- top hourglass or bottom hourglass. Top hourglass is when everything fits as per the characteristics, except that the bust is slightly bigger than the hips. And the bottom hourglass is exactly the other way round, that your hips are slightly wider than your bust.
You can be categorised as a hourglass shaped shaped body if –
- You have a well-balanced bust and hips
- Your waist is perfectly defined and shaped
- Your waist gracefully curves out to your hips
- You have gently rounded shoulders that align nicely with your hips
- You most likely have a well-rounded bottom and perfect side as well and front profile
- Your upper body is proportionate in length to your well-shaped legs
- Example body measurements
- Shoulder all-around – 39”
- Waist- 32”
Whether you are petite, plus-sized, or a standard hourglass these below basic rules will help you understand to dress up your body better.
Create a balance– Wear outfits that help highlight your perfect proportionate and balanced figure. So you will want to keep the balance that you have and avoid adding any “bulk” with your clothing. If you add ruffles or extra width to your bust, for example, you will lose your ideal hourglass shape and end up looking “top-heavy”.
Eye movement- Create focus on the areas you want to emphasize, which can help you highlight your most priced curves. Your aim is to draw more attention to that curvy and slim waist.
So while dressing up you may want to consider these points-
- You may want to add additional belts to your tops or dresses, to further accentuate your curvy figure
- Tops with banding or nipping at the waist highlight your figure
- Well- fitted and snug dresses and outfits showcase your body
- Wrap-style tops accentuate your waist and enhance your hourglass figure.
- Flowing tops with a waist-band show-off your amazing curves, create a dramatic hourglass effect.
- Tops with that add volume to the bust and shoulders with a snug-fitting empire waist, when paired with a well proportionate voluminous bottom will create a dramatic hourglass effect.
- Tailored shirts with darted waists that conform to your natural shape
- A pencil skirt is a good shape on you as it will go in and out with your curves.
You could maybe consider not including too much of these in your wardrobe-
- Stay away from boxy styles
- Very loose or shapeless styles
- Avoid volume enhancing detailing only at bust, as it will create imbalance to your overall figure, balance it out with similar bottom.
- Avoid volume enhancing detailing only at hips, as it will create imbalance to your overall figure, balance it out with similar top.
Here are a few style references that will work well for you.
Wrap dress– This angarkha style wrap dress with a flattering V-neck accentuates your curves and flows softly over the lower body. The horizontal stripes at the bust are perfect for a bottom heavy hour glass figure, helping them balance out their shape. The ties at the waist give the shape at the slim waist.
Straight cut fitted dress– This cotton strappy body fitted dress with a slit is a great outfit to highlight your assets. Well fitted at the bust and hips with a nipped waist is a dress for your body type.
V necks– This striped V neck fitted dress is a great option to accentuate your curves. Horizontal and diagonal stripes give the illusion of added height. The knee-length dress also highlights your well-shaped legs.
Your special party look –
This shibori sheath dress with a straight fit and a nipped waist works well for your body type. You add a belt also to this dress.
Team it up with a pair of heels and some long earrings and you are ready to go!!
These are few other options
Just to give a better idea, to make it easy to relate to this shape these are the few famous rectangle-shaped celebrities – Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Priyanka Chopra, Vidya Balan.